October 29, 2014

What Do We Hear?

We enjoyed a fairly busy week this week. Visited with a lot of the good members of the Gouda ward. Elder L. will be with Elder Lo. now. He'll do a great job. He can navigate this place better than I can (never was my strong point). And he has a good understanding of what needs to happen next.

We had Stake conference this weekend and the theme was Alma 37: 6-7. It was a good conference...

It's good to see the work will continue on with good missionaries and members who are putting their time and talents into what they do. I have met so many amazing people in these two years.  You know, it's the general opinion from many people that the world is getting worse and worse. And yes, certain things are getting worse. But when you get the chance to really get to know and understand about the people around you, you find that there is so much good. So much you can appreciate from the people around you. Of course you won’t always like what they do. But when it really comes down to it, there just so many good-hearted people...

I repeat myself.
That's ok. I had one last thing; I wanted to share with you all. 
After 2 years of missionary work, I have seen that this church that we follow, this gospel, offers (when properly lived and applied) happiness. And gladness, and peace. It teaches us balance in our lives. It teaches us how to live with and love others around us. 
I am reminded of a letter that Joseph Smith wrote to the saints. In Doctrine and covenants 128. Among other things, he tells about what we 'hear' or learn from the gospel:

Now, what do we hear in the gospel which we have received?
 A voice of gladness!
 A voice of mercy from heaven; and a voice of truth out of the earth; glad tidings for the 
dead;
 a voice of gladness for the living and the dead; glad tidings of great joy.

This gospel, which we have received, gives us so much. Yes, it is true that there are many unanswered questions. And there are things that don't make sense. But the core of how one should lead one's life does make sense. And is that not what we all really want? That peace of mind, knowing that we have a purpose in this life. That the endings we experience here that bring so much sadness, are not final endings, but pauses. (Pres. Uchtdorf talked about this)... 
        
 I admit to everyone that this does not make one's life perfect. From my own experience I know this is not the case. But I have seen this gospel fix people’s lives. It has healed hearts that are broken. I've seen it. It has given purpose to those that are lost. I've seen that too. 
And for myself it has shown me how I can be happy, and what really can make happiness last, and become joy.
Further in his letter Joseph says:

Brethren, shall we not go on in so great a cause?
 Go forward and not backward. Courage, brethren; and on, on to the victory! Let your hearts rejoice...


People can spend years to become physically developed, and people spend years of their life studying for secular knowledge, and to develop intellectually. I have given two years to learn spiritually, and to help others do the same. I will never regret this choice. Because of it, I have changed forever. 

I pray that we will all be able to take the time, and concentration to hear from our Father. Who loves us. And wants us to feel that.

Tot Zients Nederland en Belgie. Thank you for being what you are :). I will really miss you. I love you all. You have taught me so much.
You have a special place in my heart. Always.

Elder Chantry


No comments:

Post a Comment