September 30, 2014

This Week Was Also Well

This week was also well. Well in that we worked hard, and a few really great appointments. Not great because it was just a few appointments. We had quite a few things fall through. Lots of talking to people...

It was good though. We were able to do some service, have zone training and play voetbal with the young men in the ward. That was great.

We had an appointment this week, that made me think a lot about the convincing power of one's testimony of the gospel, for one's self..... There are many people that upon building their testimony, in this church express that they know for certain that it is true. They are convinced of it. There are others who are less certain. They find it difficult to trust completely, or to that extent. Perhaps because they feel that they need to know for a fact, all the details. They are uncertain, and it is more difficult for them.

I think we all sit somewhere in a balance between the two. Often times, when we have doubts, we don't like to admit it because it is perceived as a weakness in testimony. There are times when doubts are used as a shield, to not have to take the guilt of our actions, which are contrary to the gospel. But there are also sincere questions/concerns that stem from legitimate sources. These should not be condemned. Maybe we feel it comes from a lack of faith. We're afraid that if we recognize it, we'll be poking holes in our own faith so to speak. Or that others in the church will think differently of us...

I don't know why some people are able to trust more easily and deeply than others. But what I do know, is those that do have doubts should not think less of themselves. I dare say that everyone in the church has doubted things at some point. Everyone has something they don't understand, or doesn't sit right with them...

Why do I say all this? I want to make it clear that questions are understandable. I think President Ucthdorf or Elder Holland was saying they (questions) are welcome. 
If there ever comes a time that our testimony no longer appears as a perfect painting before our eyes, it doesn't mean that we need to throw it away. Don't panic, it won't help you make wiser decisions. 
Rather, take the time to reexamine your painting, and give it time.

I ramble a long time about this, but I bring it up because I've seen this many times. People can't understand things. They feel that life is too complex to have a perfect happy answer like the gospel. I'll admit that I myself have questions, and problems with things. My conversion to the gospel is not a perfect painting. But I value the frame too much to give up on it and throw it away.

This journey in life never ceases to challenge. But I've never regretted what I’ve learned from the challenges I’ve gone through. And I pray I'll keep learning.

Wishing you all a great week,
Elder Chantry


A View Over Gouda


Eating Stroopwafels

No comments:

Post a Comment