August 11, 2014

Rolling Waters

Well.
This is the first week with Elder C. He's great. He's from Provo Utah. But he's traveled around in his life. He speaks almost every language there is. English, Dutch, Spanish, French, Italian (that's where his opa is from), Some Portuguese and some Duits.
I was impressed.

We started off the transfer with a good meeting with the STL and the District leaders, and are focusing on chapter 5 of Preach My Gospel.

I was studying this week in Doctrine and Covenants. I came across a verse that has meant a lot to me. 121:33. Mostly the first line actually:
 ''How long can rolling waters remain impure?''

Reason. It has been a witness to me of the importance of staying strong, and not giving up. No matter how dirty our waters may be, if they continue to flow, and roll, then they will become clean. I know this topic may be straightforward. But you know how it is; certain things really strike you at times when you need them.

I want to share a couple things to you all that reinforced this. Pres. Robinson, in his letter to us (he sends weekly) Included a poem. Called the Invictus. This poem emphasizes that need for determination for me. Second, is a Mormon message that is new. You may have seen it already. It's called: The Hope of God's Light. That video is amazing. Watching it was a witness to me that God really does know our needs. And if we continue, as "flowing waters" then we will feel of His light, and come off conqueror. 

As Henley puts it: Captain of our soul

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul. 

--William Ernest Henley  

-----------------------------------

E. Chantry

Here is the link to the video that Carsten mentioned:

https://www.lds.org/media-library/video/mormon-messages/mormon-messages-2014?lang=eng

No comments:

Post a Comment